Digital Yacht have teamed up with SIMY to create World’s smallest AIS MOB Beacon (personal SART). SIMY is a division of leading space company Syrlinks (designers of the Rosetta probe). They specialise in miniaturising and low power electronics.
The new MOB100 measures just 115 x 40 x 22mm and weights just 95g. It’s design allows for manual activation or you can attach it to an automatic inflation lifejacket onto either a strap or the lifejacket inflator. Subsequently allowing it to automatically activate when the life-vest inflates. The unique cover design requires just a 1cm downward movement created by the strap and lifejacket inflation to auto activate and therefore deploy the spring antenna. On foam filled life-vests, you can also fit the unit to the outside and set up for manual activation.
How does the AIS MOB100 work?
The AIS MOB100 Beacon incorporates a super sensitive 72 channel GPS and AIS SART transmitter. When activated, it sends the casualty’s current location as an AIS transmission which can be detected by any vessel equipped with an AIS transponder or even a simple AIS receiver. Above all, every Digital Yacht AIS product is fully compatible with AIS MOB/SART transmissions. The AIS device or plotter display shows a unique MOB target identifier to position the MOB onto the navigation system. Optional devices like Digital Yacht’s AIS LifeGuard can also automatically sound an audio alarm to alert the crew of the emergency MOB situation. Coast and monitoring stations can also pick up the signal. They identify this using a unique signal as a MOB distress situation. Range is typically 5-10nm depending upon sea conditions.
Upon activation, the MOB position is sent 8 times a minute as a priority AIS SART message. The strobe LED will also flash to aid night time recovery. In Addition, if activated accidentally, the MOB100 can be physically reassembled and reset.
Moreover, the MOB100 has a 7 year battery built in which will operate for at least 24 hours continuously when activated. It is also totally waterproof and has a test facility to check operation as required.
In addition, you can download the user guide by clicking here.
- The World’s smallest AIS MOB beacon measuring just 115 x 40 x 22mm. Will fit even the most compact of life jackets.
- Up to 50% smaller and lighter than other competing products
- Automatic or manual activation
- Unique spring, helical antenna design for the best propagation of radio signal
- Super sensitive 72 channel GPS
- 7 year battery life with 24 hr (minimum) continuous operation when activated
- Audible alert when activated – helps avoid false activation and gives reassurance to the casualty in a genuine emergency
- LED flashing indicator light
- Totally waterproof (IPX7)
- Weighs just 95g