Nomad 2 is a portable AIS transponder from Digital Yacht. Designed for recreational boaters and professional mariners, it offers a full function, Class B AIS transponder with a wireless and USB interface built in for tablets and PCs – all in a portable, compact package.
It incorporates an innovative USB power solution therefore allowing the Nomad to be powered from any standard USB source. This can include low cost, 3rd party battery packs, a USB PC connection or 12V USB adaptors/cigarette lighter adaptors. It ships with a compact combination AIS and GPS antenna which allows the main unit to be used below decks on all types of vessel – leisure and commercial.
It addresses the needs of so many boaters who want a portable yet sophisticated navigation solution with AIS and GPS and the ability to interface with tablets, PCs and smart phones. It appeals to charter skippers, professional mariners like delivery skippers and pilots as well as boat owners who don’t want the hassle or cost of installing a dedicated transponder and like the concept of easy iPad and tablet navigation using their favourite charting apps with a detailed AIS overlay and real time GPS positioning. As a full function Class B transponder, it also sends you boat position to other AIS users.
Nomad 2 has a built in wireless interface outputting GPS position data and AIS. It’s designed for use with an iPad, tablet, phone or PC in conjunction with any compatible charting app or program – Navionics, NavLINK, Weather 4D, AquaMap, Imray, SailGrib and 100’s more.
The unit can also act as an AIS/GPS receiver only if MMSI and specific boat data is not available.
Nomad 2 has a built-in web interface. The configuration of the transponder can be done through a computer, a tablet or even a smartphone and most importantly, no software is required.
You can configure the Nomad 2 through its own simple web interface, just open your web browser, enter the Nomad 2’s IP address and you can configure the vessel details (MMSI number, Boat name, etc.), network name, password and even merge the AIS’s WiFi to an existing WiFi network on board. So no complicated programming software or app required.
You can even view the received NMEA data in the web browser, for easy fault finding of issues. Finally, the Nomad 2 supports TCP and UDP network protocols for maximum compatibility with apps.
- The perfect AIS solution for charter users, rental boats, delivery skippers, pilots, commercial users etc
- Full function Class B transponder (send and receive AIS)
- Supplied with combination GPS-VHF antenna which has industry standard 1” threaded mount – suitable for many 3rd party deck, rail and pole mounts
- Integrated wireless and USB interfaces – compatible with 100s AIS ready charting apps
- USB powered
- Easy programming and control through wireless web interface – no apps required
- Silence transmissions via the web interface
- Supports up to 7 connected devices
- Creates its own access point and also has ability to join an existing wireless network if required